[HTTPS-Everywhere] HTTPS Everywhere 4.0 progress update, and goodbye!

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Aug 22 13:14:14 PDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 05:09:11PM -0700, yan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I made an experimental release of HTTPS Everywhere Firefox 4.0.0 last
> week, and it's up at
> https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywhere-4.0.0.xpi. PGP signature
> (with my personal GPG key):
> https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywhere-4.0.0.xpi.sig.
>
> I haven't officially released this as a stable update, because signature
> verification on the update metadata file [1] has been unsuccessful for
> some unknown reason.
>
> [1] https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywhere-update-2048-4.0.0.rdf

I did some experimenting on this, and concluded that the problem is
something to do with the Firefox on Android stanza in that rdf file.
I don't yet know if the problem is in Uhura's signing code, the Mozilla
verification code, or some subtle typo, though I was able to reproduce
the problem with the Firefox on Android stanza in two different places
and with an HTTPSE update.rdf file too.

This other update.rdf works:

https://eff.org/files/https-everywhere-4.0.0-resigned.rdf

So it's currently live for stable-branch desktop users.  But users on
Android can't update on it, unfortunately :/

> On a tangential note, I'm officially leaving EFF after I send this
> email, since it's my last day here. But I'll still help out with HTTPS
> Everywhere, at least until Zack's GSoC work is finished. :)

We're missing you already!

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131