[HTTPS-Everywhere] 4.0dev11 slowing Firefox down

Erik Harris erik at eharrishome.com
Mon Sep 2 15:05:13 PDT 2013

On 9/2/2013 4:37 PM, Pavel Kazakov wrote:
> Interesting that this issue isn't universal. Slowdown appears to be
> happening on my home desktop machine with 4.0.development11, but it

It also doesn't seem to be temporally universal. I didn't see the
problem right after installing 4.0.dev11, and in fact, when I first
noticed it, it was about 5-10 minutes *after* opening Firefox for the
first time of the morning.  It ran at normal speed for a few minutes,
and then it suddenly looked like my Internet connection had died, or at
least gone to sub-dial-up speed.

> Opening up gmail for the first time takes an extra 5-7 seconds to
> load. The issue only happens during the first page load on a fresh
> Firefox instance; any subsequent loads for that webpage seems to work
> just fine.

In my case, it was much slower than an extra 5-7 seconds, and the only
solution seemed to be disabling HTTPS-Everywhere (from within the
extension - I didn't actually disable the extension within the Firefox
addon window). Reloading the page didn't help at all.

--

Erik Harris                               http://www.eHarrisHome.com

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell