[HTTPS-Everywhere] HTTPS-Everywhere 3.1.2 crashing Firefox on Ubuntu?

Rich Wales richw at richw.org
Thu Jan 3 23:27:34 PST 2013

On 01/03/13 22:57, Peter Eckersley wrote:

> /This doesn't look like a ruleset bug.  It's probably an HTTPS Everywhere bug of some sort, though it's hard to confirm that it's the cause of the crash, which looks like a memory leak.  Can you try setting HTTPS Everywhere's "loglevel" variable (in about:config) to 3, and capturing the output as you are doing now?/

OK, the LogLevel value was 5 (apparently the default?), but I've changed it to
3, and I'm seeing lots more output now.  I'll let everyone know the next time
I get a crash.

(/*Lowering*/ the LogLevel creates /*more*/ output???)

> /Also, can you tell us what other extensions you're running?  If there are lots, can you separately try running the same test with a different Firefox profile (ie run firefox with -P -no-remote)?/

I'm running the following extensions:

    Adblock Plus 2.2.1
    Add-on Compatibility Reporter 2.0
    ColorZilla 2.8
    CsFire 1.0.8
    Download Statusbar 0.9.10
    Ghostery 2.8.3
    Global Menu Bar Integration 3.6.4
    HTTPS-Everywhere 3.1.2
    LastPass 2.0.0
    PageRank for Firefox 1.1.1
    PDF Viewer 0.7.1
    Session Manager 0.7.9.2
    Tab Mix Plus 0.4.0.3.1
    Test Pilot 1.2.2
    Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 2.6
    WorldIP 2.2.0
    WOT 20120926

I've got a bunch of other old extensions that are marked as "disabled".  I can
try actually removing them, though I wonder if this would make any difference;
any thoughts?

I'm not familiar with the "-P -no-remote" flags; what would this do?  I am, in
fact, already running in a fairly new profile, with most of my add-ons
reinstalled by synchronizing to another (non-crashing) Firefox instance on a
different computer; I did this a few days ago, thinking that my old profile
might have become corrupted from years of upgrades and such, and hoping (sadly
in vain) that starting over again might clear up the crashing/hanging problem.

Rich Wales (richw at richw.org)
Palo Alto, California, USA