[HTTPS-Everywhere] https-everywhere slow with LibreJS on

Loic J. Duros lduros at gnu.org
Thu May 31 09:21:24 PDT 2012

Hi:

LibreJS now works with Https-Everywhere now that I have replaced the use
nsIXMLHttpRequest with a channel and asyncOpen.

However, I'm still having a less critical issue with Https-Everywhere.
It seems on some sites it will take up to 30 seconds to redirect and
start loading the page. This only happens with both Https-Everywhere and
LibreJS on.
For instance when going to fsf.org, Https-Everywhere will redirect to
https. Here is what the log shows:

    Got http-on-modify-request: http://fsf.org/
    Potentially applicable rules for fsf.org:
       Free Software Foundation
    active rule Free Software Foundation in
    chrome://browser/content/browser.xul ->
    chrome://browser/content/browser.xul serial 6
    Redirection limit is 20
    Notifying observers of rewrite from http://fsf.org/ to
    https://www.fsf.org/
    Scheduling channel replacement for http://fsf.org/
    Ran channel replacement for http://fsf.org/
    shoulLoad for moz-icon://stock/gtk-stop?size=toolbar
    shoulLoad for chrome://browser/skin/tabbrowser/connecting.png
    Got http-on-modify-request: https://www.fsf.org/
    Potentially applicable rules for www.fsf.org:
       Free Software Foundation
    shoulLoad for chrome://browser/skin/tabbrowser/loading.png
    Got http-on-modify-request: http://ocsp.gandi.net/
    no window for http://ocsp.gandi.net/
    No applicable list rewriting http://ocsp.gandi.net/
    Potentially applicable rules for ocsp.gandi.net:
       Gandi
    Got http-on-examine-response @ http://ocsp.gandi.net/
    no window for http://ocsp.gandi.net/
    http://ocsp.gandi.net/
    Got http-on-modify-request: http://ocsp.usertrust.com/
    no window for http://ocsp.usertrust.com/
    No applicable list rewriting http://ocsp.usertrust.com/
    Potentially applicable rules for ocsp.usertrust.com:
    Got http-on-examine-response @ http://ocsp.usertrust.com/
    no window for http://ocsp.usertrust.com/
    http://ocsp.usertrust.com/

and it remains stuck at this point for 20 seconds, without loading the page.
Finally it goes on and loads the page. I've seen this happen for a few
pages. What is causing this? Is there a way to hack Https Everywhere to
speed up that process? Is it a timeout? :-)

Thanks,

Loic