[HTTPS-Everywhere] Special characters not supported in domain names

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri May 18 17:00:29 PDT 2012

There is at least one ruleset that covers an internationalised domain.
AkademikerForsakring.se.xml covers www.akademikerförsäkring.se. Although it's
off by default due to a cert warning, it looks to me like it works.

We never explicitly implemented anything to deal with internationalised domain
names (except perhaps in ruleset validation); it seems that Firefox transforms
them into punycode at some point after we've let the request proceed, which
would be why your attempt to write the input portion of a rule in punycode
would have failed...