[HTTPS-Everywhere] Errors in Firefox Error Console

John jw72253 at verizon.net
Thu May 17 16:54:28 PDT 2012

Do I understand you correctly in that rules built into this extension by the
developers get put in the one file named "default.rulesets", which appears
in the following folder:

%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\abcd1234.default\extensions\https-everywhere at eff.org\chrome\content\rules

Whereas rules that are created by individual users for use with this
extension get put into the following folder:

%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\abcd1234.default\HTTPSEverywhereUserRules

If that is true, then it is possible that the duplicates were created by
another exension called HTTPS Finder. It appears as if the rules in this
folder are put into separate files with their names like, for example,
"winpcap.xml"? This particular example is in fact one of those that I do get
an error message about. As a matter of fact HTTPS Everywhere reports the
error of having found the Winpcap rule three times, and I can see the
presence of these in that HTTPSEverywhereUserRules folder:

Winpcap.xml, Winpcap-1.xml, Winpcap-2.xml, Winpcap-3.xml

This is just one of the many instances of duplicates that your extension
reports having found. This may be what I am seeing and it does appear
consistent with these occurrences.

Let me ask you a related question. I am not sure how you come about deciding
which rules to include, but if you have already included a rule for a
particular site and if another rule is created for this site and put into
HTTPSEverywhereUserRules folder, would you expect to see the duplicate error
message?

If my inference here is correct, is there any reason I cannot simply delete
the duplicate files that were put in HTTPSEverywhereUserRules, like these:

Winpcap-1.xml, Winpcap-2.xml, Winpcap-3.xml

Thank you.

"Colonel Graff" <graffatcolmingov at gmail.com>
wrote in message
news:CAN-Kwu084j+oobKzFXqxQqTWr4pCR7RCP2u0vxjPfr=u_JNKRw at mail.gmail.com...
It depends on the duplicate rule names in specific. Also, check your
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(profile
name)\HTTPSEverywhereUserRules directory for any possible rules you
may have written and placed there for collisions.

If you are concerned about privacy for whatever reason, feel free to
send me the error console output and I'll look into it. As for making
the browser run at peak efficiency, those messages in the error
console shouldn't affect that. Having too many add-ons installed will.
Thanks for the notice though.