[HTTPS-Everywhere] Managing bugs due to CDN rulesets

Russell Golden niveusluna at niveusluna.org
Fri May 4 18:10:16 PDT 2012

On Thursday, May 3, 2012, Colonel Graff wrote:

> I'm curious though if working around these is necessarily practical in the
> first place. I for
> one am guilty of not contacting MySpace about their CDN causing the photo
> section to break
> prior to fixing it with an exclusion pattern, same for Imageshack.us's
> zoom functionality, but
> shouldn't we first try to get in touch with the website to see if it's
> unintended and possibly a
> bug. While we wait for their response, we could add the exclusion pattern,
> but wouldn't it be
> better if we took a different approach? If we decide to start contact
> these websites, would it be
> a bad idea if we had a sort of form letter to help ruleset authors?

Absolutely.

> On the one hand though, I prefer portability almost all of the time,
> personally. With the Web
> Developer tools that Firefox includes by default, it's fairly easy to see
> the requests and how
> they're being handled, etc. That's how I figured out the imageshack and
> MySpace exclusion
> patterns. So maybe we could put together a bunch of best practices for
> finding the problem
> with examples of good/clever exclusion patterns for ruleset authors.

I would love to see this. As a downstream packager, I have a responsibility
to get as much information as I can before forwarding a bug to you guys. I
did not do this in my last email, and we all saw the results: not a bug,
wasted people's time.

With a best practices document, I could direct people (and myself) on how
to gather this information, and try to prevent you guys from getting bogus
bug reports.

Pyramid quote clipped.

--
Russell Golden
Fedora Project Contributor
niveusluna at niveusluna.org
(972) 836-7128
--
"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add
your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture