[HTTPS-Everywhere] Managing bugs due to CDN rulesets

Colonel Graff graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:24:10 PDT 2012

I'm curious though if working around these is necessarily practical in the
first place. I for
one am guilty of not contacting MySpace about their CDN causing the photo
section to break
prior to fixing it with an exclusion pattern, same for Imageshack.us's zoom
functionality, but
shouldn't we first try to get in touch with the website to see if it's
unintended and possibly a
bug. While we wait for their response, we could add the exclusion pattern,
but wouldn't it be
better if we took a different approach? If we decide to start contact these
websites, would it be
a bad idea if we had a sort of form letter to help ruleset authors?

On the one hand though, I prefer portability almost all of the time,
personally. With the Web
Developer tools that Firefox includes by default, it's fairly easy to see
the requests and how
they're being handled, etc. That's how I figured out the imageshack and
MySpace exclusion
patterns. So maybe we could put together a bunch of best practices for
finding the problem
with examples of good/clever exclusion patterns for ruleset authors.