[HTTPS-Everywhere] New major releases for Firefox and Chrome

Erik Harris erik at eharrishome.com
Sat Mar 3 12:44:44 PST 2012

On 2/27/2012 9:19 PM, Peter Eckersley wrote:
> And 2.0.1 Stable has been released for Firefox:
> https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywhere-2.0.1.xpi

Might you consider a way to tweak the dev version numbers so that
dev-stable updates are handled properly?  "2.0.1" comes before
"2.0devevelopment.6" alphabetically, so when Firefox searches for
updates to my plugins, this update isn't found because it's a "lower"
version number (at least, I assume that's why it doesn't update). I've
noticed this for previous dev-stable updates, but hadn't mentioned it.
Anyone who has used a development release in the past and doesn't
closely follow this email list will be stuck on "2.0dev.6" until a
development version for the next release becomes available.

Maybe development releases could be x.x.0.[1-9].dev and stable releases
could be x.x.[1-9]?  For example, "2.0.0.6.dev" would have been the last
development release prior to "2.0.1" and the increment in version number
would cause Firefox to see and install the update automatically.

--

Erik Harris                               http://www.eHarrisHome.com

"When ignorance lurks, so too do the frontiers of discovery and
imagination." - Neil deGrasse Tyson