[HTTPS-Everywhere] Woot! broken

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Wed Mar 23 16:32:56 PDT 2011

Erik Harris writes:

> Short message: the Woot rule breaks woot.com.
>
> Longer explanation: I rarely visit Woot!, but the last few tiems
> I've tried, it hasn't worked (it times out). Shirt.woot worked, and
> wine.woot worked, but the main site didn't. It finally occurred to
> me to see if HTTPS-Everywhere had a Woot! rule, and sure enough, it
> does. If I disable it, the site works fine.

That rule is off by default in the current development release, but we
have generally not tried to make development releases turn off rules
that users are already using from a prior install.  (The main reason
for this is that it requires changing the name of the rule; also, it
might surprise some people who were not affected by the brokenness of
particular rules expected those rules to keep working.)

That means that if you installed a development version a while ago,
some rules may still be active for you that would be off by default in
a fresh install.  Woot is an example of that.

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen at eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation                    https://www.eff.org/
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110     +1 415 436 9333 x107