[HTTPS-Everywhere] HTTPS Everywhere for Chrome

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Tue Jul 26 11:28:47 PDT 2011

Good work Mike and Aaron!

There have been a few conversations about whether it should be in the same git
repo or a different one.

Arguments in favour:

- The ruleset files should be shared
- The translations should be shared
- In an ideal world, some portions of the JS should be shareable

Arguments against:

- Release numbering and tagging is going to get tricky
- Sometimes, rulesets might have different default-offness because (for
  instance) of different responses to mixed HTTPS/HTTP content in the two
  browsers

The last issue could be handled with an extra XML attribute such as
"chrome_default_off".

The version numbering issue is probably best handled by using a completely
different and non-confusable set of release names for the chromium version.

Also, as we move forward people should think about whether the chrome port
needs a separate mailing list.  I expect that there will be a lot of details
to sort out in making it completely ship-shape.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Senior Staff Technologist         Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131