[HTTPS-Everywhere] New toolbar button hosed. :(

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Jul 1 10:58:51 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:13:21PM -0400, Erik Harris wrote:
> Someone earlier mentioned that if you remove the new toolbar button,
> it comes back next time you launch Firefox, but that's not the only
> problem with it.
>
> If you go to customize your toolbar, the button appears with no
> icon. I tried moving it to my addon toolbar, and it simply
> disappeared. So I decided to move it back to my navigation toolbar,
> and it came back as a blank button with no icon.  As the prior
> poster indicated, when I shut Firefox down and restarted it, the
> button came back.

The two bugs above are actually the same thing: when you do View -> Toolbars
-> Customize, [in most cases], the button disappears, which causes some people
to think they've removed it.  Actually, it's only temporarily invisible until
you restart Firefox, and the invisible button can be dragged around correctly.

Micah Lee and I spent an afternoon banging our heads against this XUL/JS bug
without success.  But I just made some useful progress in realising that [in
most cases] means once the button has been clicked once.

So that means that something we're doing in show_applicable_list() /
populate_menu() is damaging the state of the button in a way that's only
apparent when you try to move/customize it.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Senior Staff Technologist         Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131