[HTTPS-Everywhere] Non-Firefox browser support through proxies

https-everywhere at lists.grepular.com https-everywhere at lists.grepular.com
Mon Feb 7 01:35:05 PST 2011

On 05/02/2011 16:05, Christopher Byrd wrote:

> First, thank you for the excellent work on HTTPS Everywhere!
>
> There is a request on https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/faq for
> ideas on how to support additional browsers. I believe that it might
> be possible to support these browsers by implementing HTTPS Everywhere
> as an extension to a local proxy server. Perhaps it would be possible
> to extend Privoxy or another open source forward proxy with HTTPS
> Everywhere, which would allow for support regardless of user agent.
>
> This probably wouldn't be simple to do, as the UI would have to be
> handled and may need significant coding, but perhaps the effort would
> be worth it.

I wrote a general Perl module a few months back which converts URLs to
their HTTPS-Everywhere equivalent. I then wrote a Squid Proxy redirector
script which takes advantage of that module. You can get it all here:

https://github.com/mikecardwell/perl-HTTPSEverywhere

I use Squid as a transparent web proxy on my network, so all browsers
benefit from the HTTPS-Everywhere rulesets.

One thing it doesn't handle is the securecookie tag. I don't think
there's a way of munging cookies with Squid. Apache can be used as a web
proxy though so I've been contemplating writing a mod_perl handler for
it which uses the HTTPS-Everywhere rulesets. That way, I'd be able to
modify the cookies too.

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com/  https://twitter.com/mickeyc
Professional  http://cardwellit.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/mikecardwell