[HTTPS-Everywhere] BUG: YouTube videos losing expand option when HTTPS Everywhere is enabled

Aaron Paul Madriñan snoocete at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 20:58:28 PDT 2011

Good day, I just stumbled upon this weird behavior when using the HTTPS Everywhere extension with YouTube.

HTTPS Everywhere version: 1.0.1
Firefox version: 6.0 and 7.0 beta 2
Operating system: Windows 7

How to trigger the bug:
 - watch a youtube video via HTTP (it defaults to this -- youtube is blacklisted in HTTPS Everywhere as buggy for breaking embedded videos), check if it uses the Flash player

 - if it uses the Flash player, click on the expand button in the lower left of the video

What is expected to happen:
 - the video resizes and takes up more space in the windows, also increasing the resolution from 360p to 480p.

What actually happens:
 - the video does not resize, but the resolution says it still increases from 360p to 480p. the expand button changes state from un-expanded to expanded.

Note that this happens when YouTube is _disabled_ in HTTPS Everywhere. If you enable it there and then access the video via HTTPS, it expands as expected.

I did most of my trials on the Justin Bieber "Baby" video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4) although as far as I can tell it also works the same on most other YouTube videos. It seems despite YouTube being disabled in HTTPS Everywhere, the extension apparently does something to it when viewing the HTTP site so as to disable the expand button.

Aaron Paul Madriñan