[HTTPS-Everywhere] Windows Live Hotmail HTTPS Compatiability Issue

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Wed Nov 24 23:42:35 PST 2010

Andrew G Theodoulou writes:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> I'm a fellow advocate and user of your fantastic add-on; HTTPS
> Everywhere for Firefox.
>
> However, i wish to bring to your attention, as also ask your expertise
> in trying to resolve a 'compatibility issue' i'd recently encountered.
> This occurs when logging onto my 'Windows Live Hotmail' account, with
> your extension enabled for 'Hotmail/Live.com'. I get the following
> 'error'; please refer to attached picture for your perusal.

Thanks.  I heard a rumor of this error on a forum, but you're the
first person to confirm that it's still happening and to report it
specifically in connection with HTTPS Everywhere.

Are you able to use HTTPS for individual sessions but just not make
it active by default?  Or does Microsoft forbid you to use HTTPS
with your account at all?

If you continue past the error screen, are you able to use your
account or does HTTPS Everywhere mess it up?  If you're able to use
it, are the URLs you see in the navigation bar http or https URLs?

I'm really curious about what the "account type" in question is.  Do
you know other Hotmail users whom you could ask to try HTTPS?  (They
don't need HTTPS Everywhere; they can just try changing the URL to
HTTPS once manually and see what happens.)  Would you be interested
in asking Microsoft support about what the "account type" is and why
some accounts can use HTTPS and others can't?

I think for now the only solution for you in order to avoid the error
message entirely would be to turn off the Hotmail/Live.com rule.  But
maybe if we can get some more information we can find a more general
solution.

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen at eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation                    https://www.eff.org/
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110     +1 415 436 9333 x107