[HTTPS-Everywhere] [pde at eff.org: [URGENT] an easy-to-fix problem with bit.ly HTTPS support]

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Wed Nov 17 15:19:49 PST 2010

The alternative to getting sites to make these kinds of changes would be for
us to hit some url that caches the StartCom intermediate cert exactly once
after installation.  That would be ugly, but in some ways preferable since it
allows the sites to follow the recommendations that Adam Langely made about
improving SSL performance by omitting intermediate certs:

http://www.imperialviolet.org/2010/06/25/overclocking-ssl.html

I could use the SSL observatory data to find a URL that would cause Firefox to
cache the StartCom cert for bit.ly; are there XPCOM calls available to hit a
url without rendering the response anywhere?

----- Forwarded message from Peter Eckersley <pde at eff.org> -----