[HTTPS-Everywhere] http to https rewrite using GlimmerBlocker

https-everywhere at lists.grepular.com https-everywhere at lists.grepular.com
Sat Nov 13 14:21:47 PST 2010

On 11/11/2010 09:20, Saiwing Yeung wrote:

> Thank you for the work on https everywhere. I am writing to you because in your FAQ you said "if you happen to know a way to perform secure request rewriting in these browsers, feel free to let us know." I think GlimmerBlocker might be feasible for this task. It can rewrite requests for any browser that uses it as the proxy. In fact there are already users publishing ways to rewrite http to https for specific sites (e.g. http://rcbth.com/p/solve-firesheeping-sidejacking-with-glimmerblocker). I think it will be not too hard to publish a list of GlimmerBlocker filters that simply does the same thing but for a more complete list of sites (even better if available as a subscription within GlimmerBlocker). I will be happy to beta-test if you are to develop this.

I sent an email to the list earlier about a Perl module I have developed
which uses the HTTPS Everywhere rulesets. I have now written a Squid
redirector which utilises that module:

https://github.com/mikecardwell/perl-HTTPSEverywhere/blob/dcb0c57b6205cdd8ce93f3ce625ff255a8b87f5b/squid.pl

So all of the apps on my LAN which perform http requests are now getting
the benefit of HTTPS Everywhere's rulesets.

--
Mike Cardwell https://secure.grepular.com/   https://twitter.com/mickeyc
Professional  http://cardwellit.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/mikecardwell