[HTTPS-Everywhere] xpi building, tagging and distribution

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Nov 3 08:53:49 PDT 2010

Hi Peter--

On 11/02/2010 08:08 PM, Peter Eckersley wrote:
> We're still learning to use git for the first time, so we may do some stuff
> that's non-optimal.

that's entirely understandable.  I'm no git expert myself, but i'm happy
to share what i know if you have questions, and to help figure things
out as we go.

> There's now a tag for 0.2.3.development.2.  I won't get
> rid of the xpis from the repo until we've had a chance to go back and tag them
> correctly, but I won't add any more, either.

Cool, thanks for doing that!  I don't think you can really get rid of
them from the repo's history without major disruption (git is not like
svn that way), so i wouldn't plan on trying to do that anyhow.

> Still happy to cherry pick any fixes you want to make to makexpi.sh, but
> personally I don't understand why its verbosity is really a problem ;).

I just pushed some changes to my repo that i think make the build
process a bit cleaner.

from a working git repo, you can now do:

 make

(that builds a prerelease version of whatever you're working on)

or you can do:

 make 0.2.3.development.2

to build a specific tag.

(these arguments also work for makexpi.sh, but the Makefile also adds a
"clean" target, and makes it more intuitive for folks who are used to
the typical unix build process)

my patch also uses .gitignore to try to avoid commits of future .xpi files.

hope this is useful,

	--dkg