[HTTPS-Everywhere] https everywhere support on a mac via GlimmerBlocker

San Tromp san.tromp at me.com
Sat Jul 31 07:28:26 PDT 2010

Dear Sir, Madam,

I think I have found a secure way to have some sort of https everywhere functionality on every browser on the Mac OS X platform. The anwser could be a GlimmerBlocker Filter.

GlimmerBlocker is a local http proxy, that is mainly used as an adblocker. However, it has some really powerfull features, like modifying http requests and responses.

On http://glimmerblocker.org/wiki/Flow#Modifyingrequests you can find an example of gb.reponse.sendRedirect();  .
By default, this proxy server will be set up for http, not for https in OS X, so after sending the Redirect URL to the browser, the Proxy will not be used.
More information of all the Object references can be found here: http://glimmerblocker.org/wiki/ObjectReference

I completely understand that this will not reach as many people as a firefox extension, but it will come in handy for those Safari, Chrome or other browser users on the Mac.

Kind regards,
San Tromp