[HTTPS-Everywhere] Fix for google autocomplete

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Wed Jul 28 13:49:45 PDT 2010

Hi Andres,

The broken autocomplete in the search bar is an unfortunate side-effect of a
fix to a couple of bugs wherein auto-suggest queries would be sent
unencrypted, which effectively makes those searches non-encrypted.

Mike has spent a lot of time trying to work out how not to break the
autocomplete, but he hasn't found a way yet AFAIK [*].

One better workaround than the changes you made would be to write add a new
search engine definition to Firefox so that it sends its queries over https by
default.

I'm not sure how to do that, but it should be quite easy.

[*] The underlying technical issue is that the search uses a particular kind
of XMLRPC request which is hard to rewrite to https, and when HTTPS Everywhere
finally succeeds in doing that (using Channel replacement), Firefox's search
code no longer receives the suggestion results.