[HTTPS-Everywhere] Confusion about which version to download

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Dec 10 14:03:44 PST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 03:56:56AM -0800, Robert Ransom wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:50:49 +0530
> shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >  On https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere I see four variations of the
> > same file.
> >
> > 0.2.2, 0.3.0dev,0.9.2 and 0.9.9dev and apart from the dev ones which
> > one is the latest is not known.
>
> Of the versions you listed, HTTPS Everywhere 0.9.2 is the latest
> non-development version.

Yes, you almost certainly want 0.9.2 or (if you're feeling adventurous)
0.9.9.devlopment.1.  I leave a few older releases visible on the page in case
people really want to install an older version for some reason.

> > From the changelog it "seems" that 0.2.2 is an old version while 0.9.2
> > is the latest version. If I do download 0.2.2 would it go to 0.9.2 ?
>
> By ‘go to’ I assume you mean ‘auto-update to’.  I don't know; they had
> trouble auto-updating the extension at some point in the 0.2.x
> versions.  However, if auto-updating from 0.2.2 worked, it would update
> to 0.9.2 .

There was an old problem where we accidentally were updating people from the
stable to the development versions.  That is now long-fixed, and 0.2.x should
definitely upgrade to 0.9.2.

> > Also I'm a little confused with the apparent jump in the version numbers.
>
> The developers jumped from 0.2.3 to 0.9.0 because they thought that
> they would soon be ready to release a version 1.0.0 of HTTPS
> Everywhere.  So far, HTTPS Everywhere has used strictly increasing
> version numbers (so if a>b, then 0.a.x came before 0.b.y), unlike Tor,
> which has used the first three dot-delimited components of its version
> number to indicate a branch.

Correct.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Senior Staff Technologist         Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131