[HTTPS-Everywhere] Confusion about which version to download

Robert Ransom rransom.8774 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 03:56:56 PST 2010

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:50:49 +0530
shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>  On https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere I see four variations of the
> same file.
>
> 0.2.2, 0.3.0dev,0.9.2 and 0.9.9dev and apart from the dev ones which
> one is the latest is not known.

Of the versions you listed, HTTPS Everywhere 0.9.2 is the latest
non-development version.

> From the changelog it "seems" that 0.2.2 is an old version while 0.9.2
> is the latest version. If I do download 0.2.2 would it go to 0.9.2 ?

By ‘go to’ I assume you mean ‘auto-update to’.  I don't know; they had
trouble auto-updating the extension at some point in the 0.2.x
versions.  However, if auto-updating from 0.2.2 worked, it would update
to 0.9.2 .

> Also I'm a little confused with the apparent jump in the version numbers.

The developers jumped from 0.2.3 to 0.9.0 because they thought that
they would soon be ready to release a version 1.0.0 of HTTPS
Everywhere.  So far, HTTPS Everywhere has used strictly increasing
version numbers (so if a>b, then 0.a.x came before 0.b.y), unlike Tor,
which has used the first three dot-delimited components of its version
number to indicate a branch.

Robert Ransom