[HTTPS-Everywhere] HttpsEverywhere Rulesets

Jeff Welling jeff.welling at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 22:55:11 PDT 2010

Hi
I was just trying to write my own ruleset for HTTPEverywhere for Openhatch.org according to the page here[1] but it seems to be deprecated.  The page itself says its current as of version 0.1.0 but now HTTPSEverywhere is at version 0.2.2 (or at least the version you get through the Firefox plugin manager is), and trying to write a plugin according to that page not only doesn't work for the site your trying to write it for, it seems to break the entire HTTPSEverywhere plugin.

Until I deleted the Openhatch.xml file I'd written, I would try to google for something by typing it in the address bar and I would get a blurb of text saying basically site has moved to here, and you'd have to click on the link to get to where you wanted to go.  Also, until deleting that file, I noticed that sites that normally worked under HTTPSEverywhere no longer did, such as a simple google search result.  And on top of it all, the site I was trying to write the ruleset for didn't get automagically switched over to https.  Writing a ruleset for openhatch should be as easy as the first example presented at [1] just replacing 'twitter\.com' and 'twitter.com' with 'openhatch\.org' and 'openhatch.org'.  But like I said, deleting my custom made ruleset makes everything go back to normal.

Just thought you should know that trying to write a ruleset according to that page seems to break all of HTTPSEverywhere, and was wondering when I should check back to see if it's been updated?

Thanks for the great plugin!
Jeff Welling

[1] https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/rulesets