[HTTPS-Everywhere] Fix for the Google.xml Ruleset

Jamil Navarro jamil at navarro.com.ve
Tue Aug 3 13:56:02 PDT 2010

I loved the HTTPS-Everywhere Firefox extension, and I'm using version
"https-everywhere-0.2.2.xpi" (not the dev one) however I had to tweak
the Google.xml rules a little bit, so it fully adjusts to the
google.co.ve domain name (for Venezuela). And I hope I simplified
things a little bit
The fixes I applied

* Simplification: I replaced the two categories of national google
urls to a single general one :

<rule
    from="^http://(www\.)?google(\.com?)?\.[^/@:][^/@:]/(search\?|firefox|#)"
    to="https://encrypted.google.com/#"
/>

this rule works for google.fr, google.com.br and google.co.ve.

* Fix: The mapping from national urls to language for spanish-speaking
countries didn't work for Venezuela (google.co.ve) since it assumes a
full .com.ve address. I made the "m" in com optional.

<rule
    from="^http://(www\.)?google\.(com?\.)?(ar|bo|cl|co|cu|cr|ec|es|gt|mx|pa|pe|py|sv|uy|ve)/?$"
    to="https://encrypted.google.com/webhp?hl=es"
/>

Unfortunately I went ahead and edited the directly file, and after it
worked I couldn't do the diff to send you guys just the patch.
I hope  the explanation above plus the file I currently use will be enough.

Keep up the good work!

Jamil Navarro