[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Comments on multiple rulesets (Jan-3)

Christopher Liu cmliu00151 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:16:28 PST 2012

To whom it may concern:

My comments are sorted alphabetically by name of ruleset this time.
Some may refer to my previous submissions which are not yet in the
stable builds. Again, sorry that I haven't been keeping up with the
development builds.

Caltech:
I merged two regexes into one (regarding www_alumni and mail_alumni)
in a way that does not change functionality. I have also clarified
some comments, which is why this is attached.

Microsoft:
I understand that the exclusion containing "FamilyID" fixes old-style
download pages which would break in https. However, I have seen search
engines return results that contain "familyid" (in all lowercase), so
the exclusion should account for that too.
Also, here is a partial rule for support.microsoft.com, covering some
images which I know to support https (fix hxxp, spacing and add angle
brackets):
rule from="^hxxp://support\.microsoft\.com/library/images/support/"
to="hxxps :// support. microsoft. com/library/images/support/"

NYTimes:
Please add myaccount. nytimes. com (it seems already to enforce https,
but it still deserves protection against sslstrip)

Nokia:
Please add bugreports. qt. nokia. com (it seems already to enforce
https, but it still deserves protection against sslstrip)

Pastebin.ca:
My request to disable this ruleset still stands, although my earlier
comments were incorrect about the site being defunct. Currently it
works in plain http, but no https connection can be established.

UCSD:
I added gradapply. ucsd. edu and ucsdbkst. ucsd. edu to the first
section ("normally https only"). I added bookstore. ucsd. edu to the
second section ("supports https but doesn't enforce..."). The cert
doesn't seem to be valid for www. bookstore. ucsd. edu so I redirected
it to the domain without www.
www-cse. ucsd. edu actually exists on 6 domains (www DOT, www HYPHEN,
or neither; cs or cse) which are all SubjectAltNames in the same
certificate and all work properly. I have also clarified some
comments, which is why this is attached.

Thank you for your time and help.

C. Liu