[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Exception to HTTPs Everywhere

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Tue May 17 01:09:42 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 09:30:51AM +0200, Ted Guild wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 18:43 -0700, Peter Eckersley wrote:
>
> > I don't think that any existing problems at w3.org should be caused by HTTPS
> > Everywhere, because we don't currently ship a ruleset for the W3C!  It's
> > possible that it's HTTPS Finder, KB SSL Enforcer, or some other browser
> > extension that probes HTTPS for every domain.
>
> Peter,
>
> Thank you for the reply, apologies for jumping to a hasty conclusion and
> thank you for the pointers.  As it sounds like this has come up in the
> past do you have any recommendations to finding out which might be
> involved?  The requests are not carrying any distinguishing user-agent
> modification.  We thought perhaps it was from this project since we have
> read about it earlier.

Actually this is the first time anyone has reached out to us about a large
volume of HTTPS traffic that we didn't cause :)

KB SSL Enforcer is a chrome extension; HTTPS Finder is a Firefox extension so
the user agent should be informative.  Sounds like you should install the
latter and see if it produces behaviour similar to what you're seeing on the
server side.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Senior Staff Technologist         Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131