[Companion-announce] Companion updates and reading for beginner trainers

Soraya Okuda soraya at eff.org
Thu Nov 2 16:02:07 PDT 2017

Hi lovely people,

Thanks for helping with the upcoming Security Education Companion!

This email will include:

    a few updates,

    a document of our advice for new digital security facilitators,

    and a revised list of names of who is involved at this stage.

As always, please feel free to reach out to me if you'd like to chat
about the initiative or have questions. I know how busy all of you are,
and really appreciate your time.

Wishing you well,

Soraya

---

*Updates*

    + We've been super busy on our end at EFF, and our documents are
    still going through a few rounds of revision (technical,
    proofreading, and legal reviews). In the meantime, I've been working
    with our web development team to develop our website, and I've been
    working on the graphics accompanying lessons. The soft launch is
    planned for *November 15th*, with a plan to iterate on the materials
    in the months after.

    + Our documents are coming along, but as you might imagine, there
    are a lot of moving pieces. Our content is split up into...

        + *Security Education 101*: things that we wish we knew when we
        first started teaching, which we hope are helpful for others.
        Our intended audience is US-based beginner trainers who are
        teaching digital security during 1-4 hour events to friends and
        neighbors. (I've included these for you today.)

        *+ Lesson modules:* topic based content. (We're sprinting on
        these now.)

        + *Educational materials:* graphics, gifs, handouts, and so on
        that a trainer can use in workshops. (I'm sprinting on these now.)

        +*Security News*: This section is directly pulled from our
        Security Education tag
        <https://www.eff.org/issues/security-education>, which grabs
        relevant content from EFF's Deeplinks blog. The hope is that
        this can serve as a helpful curated resource for new digital
        security trainers.

*
*

*
*

*
*

*
*

*A document* *ready for your eyes -- Security Education 101**
*

    + I've included a Share/Riseup link to our Security Education 101
    articles. The hope is that new trainers read these pieces first,
    before diving into their first awareness-raising training or workshop.**
    **

        **I'm excited to share this piece with you today:
        *https://share.riseup.net/#XqP1X25DYV4qUOPiF1FixQ*

    + The intended audience for these articles: Beginner trainers.

        By beginner trainer, we mean someone who is: 1) new to digital
        security concepts, but has experience with teaching and has been
        nominated by their group to teach, or 2) experienced with
        digital security concepts, but has limited/no experience with
        teaching and could use some help. These were written with the
        sentiment that it's easier and less painful to learn from the
        mistakes of others. They came out of our own experiences with
        training, as well as from the many collective discussions and
        informal interviews with other digital security trainers.

    + Comments that are helpful at this stage before launch (reminder
    that we launch on Nov. 15, so please keep suggestions actionable):

      * Do these pieces appropriately set expectations for someone new
        to teaching digital security?
      * Is our tone friendly / encouraging enough for a newbie?
      * Do we caution new trainers at the right points?
      * Would you feel comfortable sharing these with a new trainer?

*Who is looped into this initiative (note a few ~new~ names, italicized.
Welcome!): *

    Equality Labs (SF bay) - Praveen Sinha, /Thenmozhi Soundararajan /

    Aspiration, Tor (SF bay) - Gunner

    Tow Center for Journalism (NYC) - Susan McGregor

    FabRiders, Level Up (London) - Dirk Slater

    Freedom of the Press Foundation (NYC) - Harlo Holmes

    Lucy Parsons Labs / Freedom of the Press Foundation (SF Bay) -  Jen
    Helsby, Freddy Martinez

    Advancing Justice-LA, National Lawyers Guild (LA) - Ken Montenegro

    Access Now  - Anqi L, /Michael Carbone, Floriana Pagano /

    independent trainer / assistive technology & accessibility advocate
    (Kansas City) - Spencer Hunley

    University of Amsterdam, formerly at Tactical Tech (Amsterdam) -
    Becky Kazansky

    independent trainer / security education advocate (SF Bay) - Jessy
    Irwin

    Black Movement Law Project (NYC) - Abi Hassen

    Library Freedom Project, Tor (Houston) - Alison Macrina

    Mozilla Web Fellow, formerly at Aspiration (Toronto) - Nasma Ahmed

    Internews (DC) - Jon Camfield

    Information Ecology - /Jonah Sheridan/

    University of Utah - /Tammy Denning/

    Tactical Tech - /Chris Walker/