[Ccpa] [JOIN OUR FRIDAY CALL] Final push for Tuesday hearing!

Hayley Tsukayama hayleyt at eff.org
Fri Apr 19 10:14:01 PDT 2019

Hello everyone!

Just want to remind you that we'll be *having a call today**at 11 a.m.
PT*. We would like to hear from all of you today, so please join us and
strategize as we prepare for the hearing for A.B. 1760, Privacy for All,
on Tuesday 4/23.

Call-in information:

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/920823777

One tap mobile

+14086380968,,920823777# <tel:+14086380968,,920823777%23> US (San Jose)

+16465588656,,920823777# <tel:+16465588656,,920823777%23> US (New York)

Dial by your location

+1 408 638 0968 <tel:+1%20408%20638%200968> US (San Jose)

+1 646 558 8656 <tel:+1%20646%20558%208656> US (New York)

Meeting ID: 920 823 777

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/apf0uLvW

On 4/18/19 11:26 AM, Hayley Tsukayama wrote:

> Hello coalition,
>
> Thank you all for your support of A.B. 1760-Privacy for All. We look
> forward to speaking with you all on Friday at 11 am PT. *It is very
> important that **everyone **join the call this Friday, April 19th* as
> we head into our crucial *Privacy Committee hearing on April 23rd at
> 1:30 pm PT.*
>
> */We need your voices now more than ever./* There is incredible
> pressure from the tech industry to kill this bill quietly. This has
> put enough pressure on Asm. Wicks that she had to amend the bill to
> remove the private right of action—a concession necessary to even
> grant the bill a public hearing.
>
> Many coalition members are now also fully supporting Sen. Hannah-Beth
> Jackson's S.B. 561, which retains its private right of action. We
> encourage you all to support that bill, as it directly addresses what
> the Attorney General's Office itself says it needs to enforce the CCPA.
>
> But we all continue to stand firmly behind A.B. 1760, because it ensures:
>
>      - everyone can learn which companies have received their personal
>     information through a sale or other form of sharing.
>
>      -companies that share data, as well as those that sell it, are
>     required to get opt-in consent to do so. This helps people become
>     aware of the myriad ways personal information is shared in the
>     modern digital world.
>
>      -companies cannot punish people for exercising their right to
>     privacy, by imposing a higher price or inferior service.
>
> There are over twenty bills to erode the California Consumer Privacy
> Act in the legislature right now—including several that will be heard
> along A.B. 1760 and are sponsored by Privacy Committee members. We
> have to be clear that we want privacy law in the state to move
> forward, not slide back.
>
> */We need to provide strong backup for our author, Asm. Buffy Wicks./*
> Your support is /essential/ to getting A.B. 1760-Privacy for All,
> through this important hearing and to a floor vote.
>
> */We need to put pressure on the privacy committee ahead of the 4/23
> hearing./* Please drive calls, voice your support on social media and
> show up to the hearing.
>
>     - Tweet support and thanks to @BuffyWicks, and keep up the
> pressure on @AsmEdChau @BauerKahan @AsmMarcBerman @IanCalderon
> @ASMGabriel @J_GallagherAD3 @JayObernolte @AsmChristySmith
> @KevinKileyCA @ASM_Irwin
>
> We need your voices and input as we head into next week. Please join
> our call *Friday, 4/19 at 11 a.m. PT* to strategize with us.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hayley Tsukayama
>

> --
> Hayley Tsukayama