[OpenWireless Tech] Is it safe enough?

valent.turkovic at gmail.com valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 01:00:48 PST 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 3:40 AM, Weeez <zhaowe_98 at foxmail.com> wrote:

> If I set my network as an open one, is it safe enough?? will the hackers
> see what I'm doing, or who I am, or get my password while I'm logging in a
> website? As the information are transferring without encoding..

If you offer open wifi network anything that anybody does is succeptable to
different kind of attacks. So you should not do anything on public wifi
network that isn't SSL encrypted (login only to web sites that have https)
or use a vpn.

Guys from Wlan-Slovenia and we in Croatia are using VPN technology to
ensure that traffic donor of wifi hotspot isn't being seen by people using
open wifi node they are providing.

You can also use this an create open wifi node but protect your internal
network.

Just go to https://nodes.wlan-si.net/ create new account and then create
new node. I recommend you use TP-Link WR741ND router for indoor open wifi
node or Ubiquiti Loco M2 if it is an outdoor open wifi node.

There is also an video showing how to create new wifi node (but in
Croatian):
http://www.otvorenamreza.org/kako-se-prikljuciti-projektu/postavi-novu-tocku/