[OpenWireless Tech] The police came to the AP owner first, then sniffed the air to find real culprit

californiajack at tormail.org californiajack at tormail.org
Wed Jan 2 23:08:58 PST 2013

> I appreciate your input, but I don't think we need to be so black and

I appreciate yours. Given the technical depth I am at, I really don't
expect very many people to reply for anything other than to tell me they
disagree with some outrageous thing I said. Almost no one will respond to
my dry, technical arguments by themselves.

> white and fatalistic about the situation. I think lots of people run
> open wireless networks right now with no first-hop protection, and that
> doesn't make them idiots. As SSL is adopted more and more, people are

Yes, I am being very black and white, very fatalistic. I do so because
this is a mailing list, and one who reads this list might get the idea,
without such strong wording, that everyone thinks everything is heading in
the right direction. I don't.

I think if it weren't for Jouni Malinen of the hostapd/wpa_supplicant
project, there wouldn't even be an OpenWireless.org project. All my
bitching and moaning is really all over what is a ridiculously small part
of what he has contributed to the world for free. (Also, yes, I know many
others have contributed as well, OpenWRT, Linux Wireless, etc. I just
don't know their names off hand.)

But recognizing what is wrong is a fundamental step in fixing what is
wrong. Sometimes identifying what is wrong comes off as black and white.
Sometimes identifying what is wrong comes off as fatalistic. Please don't
let that distract you.

(BTW non-proficiency in technical matters was given an alternate adjective
of "stupid" for juxtaposition to those with technical proficiency or
"smart", not really as an insult. I should really listen to Wikipedia on
the matter: "avoiding language barriers such as jargon, bypassing, and
offensive language may prevent misunderstandings in group or interpersonal
discussions"...)

> doesn't make them idiots. As SSL is adopted more and more, people are
> getting real security in place of WPA2-PSK which doesn't protect them
> from anyone who knows the shared secret anyway.

I think we are in agreement on those 2 points. SSL is becoming more
widespread, and this is a good thing, and PSK does not provide forward
secrecy as I understand it. Just to be clear, though, WPA2-PSK is not RSN,
nor is it 802.1X (which uses EAP such as EAP-TLS) as is used in
WPA2-Enterprise as the Wifi Alliance calls it.

> As far as "hacks" go, I think VPN is a bit of a hack, but if as an AP
> operator you feel more comfortable running a VPN, then I say go for it.
> If you want to create a system that tunnels clients through VPNs
> automatically, I agree that sounds hard and complicated, but I encourage
> people to run with the idea if they are optimistic that there is
> something workable. Progress in technology often happens through hacks
> on existing systems (hell, Certificate Authorities in SSL are a hack),
> as opposed to everyone neatly deciding to switch to a new and better
> system (e.g. IPv6 adoption which has been painfully slow).

This is a valid point. I think what your saying, is if someone wants to
implement what others may think is a suboptimal solution for their own
network, then go for it. I think we are in agreement.

Where I think you may have missed my point is that OpenWireless.org should
hammer out, and recommend, *better* solutions for those who want better
solutions. Because that's what is needed. I want a better solution. I am
pretty sure others do as well. Hence my initiation of discussion on these
matters. I think I raise a valid, and hitherto practically unraised,
point.

Also, while somewhat related but somewhat no related, is the SSL CA
problem. That was the subject of my earlier rant against the DANE WG. I
think these keywords such as DANE and TLSA have a place in this
discussion, albeit a peripherial or less important one. (BTW, TLSA
authenticates SSL certificates through DNSSEC, all the way up to
SAIC/Verisign and ICANN/USDoD/USDoC, if you don't know. But only HTTP SSL
certificates, not other x.509 certificate usage situations, such as those
used in EAP-TLS.)

I also note tf the IETF just said "oh well if people want to keep using
the current SSL setup that's fine", instead of saying "this situation is
suboptimal; a better solution is needed; this is the correct forum to work
out a solution", then we would have no RFC 6698 (circa August 2012) TLSA
RR.

> I think unauthenticated EAP-TLS is a hack too, but I agree that progress
> can be made to make it smoother and there has been some discussion on
> this list about it already. In short, if we work on all of these

I think this is the first main disagreement between us here. The EAP-TLS
standard, RFC 5216, is pretty clear:

"""While the EAP server
   SHOULD require peer authentication, this is not mandatory, since
   there are circumstances in which peer authentication will not be
   needed (e.g., emergency services, as described in [UNAUTH]), or where
   the peer will authenticate via some other means."""

I think OpenWireless is a perfect example of the latter, where "peer
authentication will not be needed", and is completely within the standard
and not a hack. Of course, what you or I or anyone else thinks or wants on
their own AP on their own network is irrelevant; hostapd has already
decided for you, and you cannot overrule them. You can change your beacon
settings for crazy timing, and God knows what else, but you CANNOT change
what RFC 5216 explicitly says you can. This is such a large oversight, and
like I said, I was and still am amazed. (Does "there are circumstances"
mean something else?? Is OpenWireless *not* such a circumstance?? I feel
like I'm going crazy being 1 of 2 people in the entire world who think so.
Someone please tell me I'm not crazy! Someone agree with me! This is my
MAIN point!)

> solutions in parallel without spending so much energy knocking down
> other people's ideas, more progress will be made. That's not to say

These are old ideas, and knocking them down is as easy as knocking WEP
down. They are suboptimal, and people should be made aware of the HUGE
weaknesses, in this case the weakness is primarily that VPN is a
client-server solution, and asking all clients and all servers to
implement it will end up in the same situation we are in now. The weakness
really isn't a protocol one, but one of application. The proof is in the
pudding: because VPN as a solution to wifi has already been recommended a
long time ago, and no one uses it a decade later because it is impractical
and hack-ish.

My university used a twist on this idea, the idea of VPN over unsecured
wifi, a long time ago now, back in the 00s. It was used by I think *many*,
if not most, universities. Both no on uses it anymore, really. Why?
Because its a hack. And like all hacks, everyone is going to implement
their hack in a different fashion than everyone else. My university used a
different VPN solution than anyone else, based on Cisco I think. Some will
choose OpenVPN, other will choose some other protocol that has some cool
technical edge. But they *will* still be stuck choosing among solutions
that all share a common trait: they are hacks. And then it gets to the
point where there will be another OpenWireless.org type project that will
use a slightly different recommended solution than OpenVPN, maybe like
this CJDNS cryptographicall generated address (CGA) solution, or a RFC
5216 EAP-TLS solution which is still not available. And it will be BSD and
Linux and OpenOffice all over again.

And then I will be sad. :(

But, really, the solution I put forth was not possible when the OpenVPN
solution was all the rage: Jouni Malinen and his awesome hostapd. I say we
run with it. I say we take Jouni's awesomeness and change the world, one
AP sans OpenVPN server/client(s) at a time.

And also somehwat of a sidenote is CJDNS. I may be a little harsh here,
but briefly reading the protocol description, something seems amiss about
its usage of CGA and unique local addresses (ULA.) cjdelisle says:

"""... cjdns addresses are the first 16 bytes of the SHA-512 of the
SHA-512 of the public key. All addresses must begin with the byte 0xFC
..."

LOL, encryption keys are not random when they are constrained like that.
That's cryptography 101. If a random number happens to be all zeros, don't
friggin matter, random means anything can happen. Otherwise its not
random, or even pseudorandom. Why didn't he just stick with RFC 3972 CGA?
Anyone familiar enough with CJDNS and CGA and ULA and BATMAN enough to
comment?

> there isn't room for criticism, but I think it's more productive in the
> form of detailed feedback once projects are under way.

Don't get me wrong: OpenVPN can work. But for my mother? No, for my
mother, or quite frankly, anyone I know really, OpenVPN is not a viable
solution. It would be easier to setup a custom AAA server for EAP-TLS
where "peer authentication will not be needed" to quote the RFC one more
time.

VPN over wifi is an old solution. It was abandoned in practice for a
reason. I reject that these reasons should be themselves rejected, because
doing so is "more productive" or to wait to reject previously
rejected-in-practice solutions "in the form of detailed feedback". It has
been a known solution for a long time, and all this will do is perpetuate
what has been on Gentoo forums and wiki Internet-wide for the better part
of a decade. OpenWireless.org should provide more than a Gentoo Wiki howto
from the 00s, it should provide at least alternative theoretical solutions
to work towards.

That would be a shame if it just accepts this VPN solution, or some other
hack, and neglects this possibility for something real and lasting, so I
am doing my best to try and convince you to seriously think about these
alternatives, not to discount them as "negative" or "fatalistic" or
"[un]productive", but to take them as an argument from a human who has
emotions. I read RFCs, and there are ALOT of really cool ideas that
deserve a look. I think RFC 5216 EAP-TLs is one of them, and it deserves a
working implementation, especially being for the most part already
implemented in OpenWRT trunk.

> Regarding the legal situation, yes, there are lots of laws. In addition
> to there being no printed code, I've read that it is doubtful that the
> code is even internally consistent (!). But I don't see how that general

Oh man don't get me started!

> point is all that salient to the particular issue of open wireless. I
> think much more important is the fact that the legal situation is
> developing around open wireless right now and could evolve in a number
> of directions. This makes the movement all the more important, since we
> want to establish strong legal precedents that protect people running
> open networks. Sure, not everyone will want to do it right now, and many
> will never do it regardless of the technological and legal landscapes.
> But some people are doing so, and more will as the tech gets better. The
> answer isn't just to declare it to be too risky, but to maximally
> support the pioneers who are keeping APs open, so that we don't fall
> into a world of inefficient, costly, closed wireless.

Yes, my main point was to focus less on that angle of attack and more of
the technical angle.

The law makes for horrible debates that can go nowhere. Well, not that
they go nowhere, but its just that the entire conversation will be full of
misunderstandings as everyone learns the actual law for the first time. No
one knows the law. I have been reading it and writing (major) Wikipedia
law articles for the better part of a decade, and I have no clue. The
other Wikipedia editors have no clue either, and this is about law from
centuries ago. And that discussion has to be repeated across every
jursidiction! In addition, people are afraid to really talk legal issues
for fear of being accused of "practicing law" or tort liability.

Add to that the fact that the law itself is pretty ambiguous, case law or
not, and all your really doing is hypotheticals that won't mean jack when
your sitting inside a prison cell awaiting trial. Really, it all comes
down to putting forth a well reasoned argument. I say leave that
discussion for the EFF big whigs. I have read their briefs, they know
their shit. We could spend the next 20 years discussion these things and
will come to a conclusion that took them 5 minutes. The EFF big whigs,
however, usually cannot talk about RFCs and the Linux kernel like we can.
;)

I'm just saying, that discussion will get very theoretical very fast and
quickly loose touch with reality, unlike discussions on RFCs and the
history of computing.

If you want to open a discussion about it, you can count me IN though! I
am just in the beginnings of California common law, but me thinks it will
largely revolve around the sizable amount of federal law with things like
the FCC and the Federal Register. Most have been mentioned I think, like
status as a network carrier like Tor's argument, data retention laws, etc.
I really think EFF has done an excellent job keeping up the fight. As for
countries like Germany... Well, I am very biased on the subject, as I
actually feel Germany has an extremely fucked judicial system. (Ask me
why!) The few German laws I have tracked down for Wikipedia articles was a
horrible experience, but I think I know more than most about German law
now. Have you ever read a German court case opinion? From German state,
where most important legal precedents come from? I haven't, and I have
been trying for years.

German law is basically pretty explicit like Anglo-American law, and
unlike French law, but they don't have case law like we do explaining how
its applied in practice. They have equivilents to California's Reporter of
Decisions in private practice, but they sell the information for even more
boat loads of money than the US federal courts do with PACER or California
with CCMS, and the number of German court decisions, from what I have been
told, match the number of American court decisions which is to say alot.
But no one has access to them, nor does the fact that a court decision
that says whatever actually mean very much, because you need a string of
such decisions to form what they call jurisprudence constante, and even
then they can still come to a special and contrary opinion just for you.
That's the essence of jurisprudence constante, aka no common law, aka
"civil law". (But hey, civil law still beats decisons of Parlement or
German military occupation orders any day, so they learn to live with what
they can get.)

I admire continental Europe in many legal areas, but "transparency" is NOT
one of them.