[OpenWireless Tech] ANYFI IS PROPRIETARY!

Alexander List alex at list.priv.at
Wed Aug 14 20:09:34 PDT 2013

On 08/14/2013 09:33 PM, Björn Smedman wrote:
> I'm not sure the problem here is too many
> super-competent well-funded development teams offering their services
> free of charge.

This is the OpenWireless Tech mailing list.

>From the listinfo page:

This is a list to help the community build the technologies that are
needed to make Open Wireless more widespread and successful: first hop
encryption, traffic prioritization, autonegotiation etc.

You should not be surprised to get some heat for distributing
binary-only code under a proprietary licence on a mailing list that
deals with OPEN wireless networks, and that open is not "free of
charge", but open in terms of technology and user accessibility.

https://openwireless.org/

The argument regarding access to the radio layer does not hold. OpenWRT
is entirely FOSS, and while their standard builds follow the most
conservative radio regulations (FCC), the code is out there so you can
modify it. This is done by people who live outside the FCC's regulatory
domain e.g. to enable channels 12/13, or by radio amateurs to use the
spectrum with deviations from the 802.11 standard, but still respecting
their amateur radio licences.

I am concerned that pseudosecurity technologies like yours find
widespread adoption, because the average end user does not have the
technical background to assess the security of a technology.

There are way too many startups out there that try to monetize on
growing security conerns by clueless end users.

Just my 5c

Alex

--
"Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
    -- Benjamin Franklin