[OpenWireless Tech] The police came to the AP owner first, then sniffed the air to find real culprit​​

Eugene Smiley eug.smiley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 22:13:33 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Dan Auerbach <dan at eff.org> wrote:

>  A general comment on this thread: are there people working on specific
> projects related to VPNs? Anything from setting up a VPN-phone-home
> solution to making resources available to AP operators about how to pay for
> a VPN service for their open networks? This isn't our first tech priority
> at EFF, since there are lots of folks who are willing to run open APs today
> and we want to tackle the firmware problem first. But if others are working
> on it, that's great -- just want to tease out projects ideas.

I am working on VPN related projects. Just succeeded yesterday in setting
up a vpn-server on a inexpensive VPS. My interests in VPNs is as a customer
I feel my ISP doesn't have any right to sniff/analyze my traffic and
dictate what I am allowed to do. One thing my ISP says I can't do is run a
TOR server, so I am setting up the VPN to route all TOR traffic to the VPS.

I posted a link to a SpreadSheet of data I researched about various VPN
providers. It's a very complicated market. Although unlikely, I'd love to
see an EFF/OpenWireless vetted list since it's a challenge getting answers
to various questions from the VPN companies about their products.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlMus47-j_kqdDJmVkwzQ0JDNFlZbGt0YkdGcC0tZkE