[OpenWireless Tech] The police came to the AP owner first, then sniffed the air to find real culprit​​

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Nov 29 11:29:01 PST 2012

On Nov 28, 2012, at 11:03 PM, Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> wrote:

> Russell> In my jurisdiction, the US, your concern is wildly overblown,
> Russell> if constantly reinforced by FUD claims in the media.
>
> Brad> Kettle, meet pot.  You can't claim that your jurisdiction is
> Brad> universal to the entire US, any more than anyone else can claim
> Brad> their jurisdiction is universal to any other large part of the
> Brad> world.
>
> I was specifically disclaiming universality.

Go back and re-read that sentence you wrote.  You claimed the entire US as "your jurisdiction".  That is an inherently false claim.  Everything else that you state based on that claim or following that claim is therefore highly suspect, at the very least.

> While it may be difficult and dangerous in one place, it may not be
> difficult and dangerous in another.

True enough.  But you can't just stick your head in the sand and pretend that those places where it is "difficult and dangerous" don't exist.  You can't just build a system that you claim to be "universal" that would also necessarily leave them out in the cold.  Either you build a universal system that can handle all circumstances, or you build a system that is not universal but only works in certain favorable jurisdictions.

> By constantly harping on the places it is difficult and dangerous, and
> implying that it is so everywhere, you scare people where it is not.

By constantly ignoring the places where it is "difficult and dangerous" and pushing your agenda of creating a system that ignores such inconvenient situations, you mislead everyone who might hear of the project or potentially be interested in participating.

To me, that smacks of arrogance, intentional ignorance, and negligence -- and of an almost criminal nature.

If you're willing to accept that there are places where such activities are "difficult and dangerous", and that the trivially simple solution of "everyone just be open" won't work for everyone, and that therefore we also have to include other alternatives as part of our solution, then I'm happy to agree to support that.

But you need to stop advocating that everyone should just bury their head in the sand and don't worry because what is true in your jurisdiction in the US is obviously the only way that laws could ever be interpreted or enforced anywhere in the world.