[OpenWireless Tech] Germany Court ruling affects open wifi

michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Sun Nov 25 21:49:15 PST 2012

Hi!

On 19:36 Sat 24 Nov     , Natanael wrote:
> The way the article describes it, Tor outproxies would be liable too. I2P
> and all other networks like it too, even Gnunet.

This case does not look like it is over. However, these activities are pretty
much  a grey area in german. This also includes tor middle nodes (take a look
at tor hidden services; also the exit node could have kept some logs), open
wireless, people sharing internet connections with their kids and running
machines with malware on them.

This is why we need vpns and maybe something even stronger (in case of
compromised vpn providers). This is why we need to educate people about the
risks properly. That is unless we do not care if we read news like this with
retroshare replaced by openwireless. (We discussed this already, but many
people on this list seem to belive that security is about "subjective fears")

> He is essentially saying that the messenger is liable for the contents of
> the message even if he can't know what it is. Which means that to avoid
> liability you can't pass on messages you don't know is legal.
>
> Steganography, anyone?
>
> Den 24 nov 2012 19:17 skrev "Sam Gleske" <sam.mxracer at gmail.com>:
>

> > https://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-file-sharing-ruled-illegal-by-german-court-121123/
> >
> > For those concerned about legal ramifications of running an open Wi-Fi
> > access point a German court has ruled that the owners of the network are
> > responsible for their users.
> >
> > This affects the open wireless movement.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com