[OpenWireless Tech] Germany Court ruling affects open wifi

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Nov 24 22:02:44 PST 2012

Hi -

This doesn't change anything compared to what we have been saying, to make any headway with turning the situation with consumer AP sharing around a story is needed that changes the deal to get away from the problem of the AP owner potentially dragged into a user's mess.

Vpn-only does not have the ap owner serving anything at all from his side, it just provides the first hop to a vpn that is nothing to do with the ap owner, and which must go out again under a different IP the vpn client is responsible for to get anything done.

Since it's the EFF it would be very cool to get a declaratory judgement helping someone get to a vpn so they can access the Internet under their own credentials is different than going out to the Internet for them, I don't know how difficult or possible that is, but it would certainly kickstart interest in doing vpn-only if it was told it was safe by the courts.

-Andy