[OpenWireless Tech] Setting up an open network now?

Eugene Smiley eug.smiley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 11:05:35 PST 2012

> Display of policy page

What you are looking for is called Captive Portal. Examples are nodogsplash,
nocatsplash, CoovaChilli.

> Provide for Termination

This is easier said than done. MAC address filtering is easily bypassed.
You'd have to have actual user accounts and maintain a radius server or
something like that to have that level of control.

> Use a Password?

If you are going to promote OpenWireless and potentially redirct users to
the OpenWireless site via Captive Portal, password protecting the
connection makes no sense. It's like a business saying, "We are open, but
you have to have a key to come in."

> Managing Police Mistargeting Risk

Since you are providing for a group of users you are less likely to have
the Police busting down everyone's door. You are more likely to have them
busting the door down of the one person the ISP account is registered to
and if it is a business class internet service and registered to a business
name, like Condo X broadband Coop, you might avoid action all together and
just get a complaint notice. Can you imagine a police raid on a McDonald's
or Starbucks?

I have a Google Spreadsheet of many of the popular VPN services I
researched. Trying to compare apples to apples is quite a challenge in that
market. There are companies I wonder how they are in business considering
how complicated their pricing structure is. If anyone is interested in it,
let me know.