[OpenWireless Tech] A small question about tracking

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Thu Nov 8 13:00:15 PST 2012

Ok, so what if there was some sort of legal protection for the ones who
are concerned about the risks involved with providing open wireless?

Let's say you provided open wirless. You place a placard/sign in front
of your home that designated that you were part of an established group
(maybe openwireless.org, sponsored by EFF)...If EFF were willing to help
fight the battles that might come to you from some random schmuck
downloading kiddie porn or whatever off of your node, I'm sure a lot of
minds would change about helping give access to information. I mean, EFF
*is* sort of in the legal arena already. I'm sure simply providing this
protection would attract donators, as well. Given that they are hosting
this campaign, it wouldn't be out of their realm of acceptance.

On 11/07/2012 10:06 AM, Eugene Smiley wrote:
> I'll back this up. This is very much a concern. I started a discussion
> on a Linux User List and so far the opinion is, "I am not willing to
> put myself at risk, have my gear confiscated and being humiliated in
> front of my community. I don't care what their FAQs say." And this
> isn't the average Joe Q. Public. These are experienced IT guys.
>

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org
> <mailto:brad at shub-internet.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Nov 7, 2012, at 4:20 AM, Russell Senior
>     <russell at personaltelco.net <mailto:russell at personaltelco.net>> wrote:
>
>     > So, forgive me if I consider the whole "OMFG, the cops are going to
>     > kick down my door!!!111ONEONEONE" as cowardly, in light of the
>     reality
>     > I have observed actually doing it, and the number of people we've
>     > helped.
>
>     As I said, I agree that the real probability of something
>     happening like that is remote, but the problem is that you don't
>     have to convince me.  You have to convince all the other people
>     out there.  And just blowing them off or ignoring them isn't
>     actually solving that problem.
>
>     --
>     Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org <mailto:brad at shub-internet.org>>
>     LinkedIn Profile: <http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>