[OpenWireless Tech] A small question about tracking

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 05:05:32 PST 2012

1: What about the free and open WiFi part? What about the "instant free
connectivity" part? Seriously, there are people who can't figure out how to
turn a computer on. The intent here is to enable simplified internet access
for everybody.

2: So how WOULD one switch easily between these WISP:s? Wouldn't we
replicate the issue with many carrier networks where we have 10 crappy
networks with poor coverage on the same spot? Let ALL the routers always
act together as one network, and that issue goes away.

3: Reflashing some routers and buying just a few new ones is easily done by
shops and other companies. If all they have to do is set the routers to
allow VPN only, then anybody can provide these VPN:s. If there's no
coverage in certain areas, you could in fact persuade these VPN companies
to put routers there. Or the local community. And with proper federation,
we'd still be able to get it all to act as one network. Wherever there are
WiFi networks already, we won't need to build anything new. Where there
aren't, we can get other companies to build it.

I've already described before how I imagine this to work. Some will enable
100% free access, even if bandwidth limited and capped (max X MB per
month). Some will enable 100% free access. Some will require payment, and
then these VPN providers (maybe your phone company? They're used to this
setup already for roaming) would pay the router owner and you pay the VPN
provider. The VPN providers could offer some limited free access as well,
and offer more bandwidth and higher quotas if you pay.

--- If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking //
Stupidity is a renewable resource