[OpenWireless Tech] A small question about tracking

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Nov 6 01:33:07 PST 2012

>>>>> "Porcelain" == Porcelain Mouse <porcelain_mouse at q.com> writes:

Porcelain> On Sunday, 4 November 2012, Russell Senior wrote:
>> Here in the Portland area, cops check first (circa April 2011):
>>
>> "The system, called Peer Spectre, helped Clackamas County sheriff's
>> Deputy Erin Schweitzer identify residential computer accounts that
>> had been used to move child-porn files. Schweitzer parked outside
>> homes with her laptop to confirm that the networks in her
>> investigation were unsecured, which led investigators to believe
>> someone with an antenna was disguising downloads through those
>> wireless accounts."

Porcelain> Wow, that is excellent news.  The cops in Seattle do *not*
Porcelain> do that (circa May 2011).  Not checking is just a recipe
Porcelain> for false positives, I would think.

Porcelain> Personaltelco.net must have confronted this issue already.
Porcelain> What is your approach?

In 12 years and with about 100 nodes, it has never happened to any of
our networks.

The most trouble we have is we occasionally (very occasionally, about
once a year on average across all our networks, none for the last
year+) get a DMCA takedown notice, to which I politely reply with an
explanation of the nature of the network, all the information we have
about the incident (which so far amounts to nothing, because we don't
seem to receive the notice for several days), and we never hear from
them again.

Honestly, you handwringers seem a bit lily-livered.  Is Freedom(tm)
not worth an infinitesimal risk?

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net