[OpenWireless Tech] Hello World

michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Fri Nov 2 05:26:10 PDT 2012

Hi!

On 07:10 Fri 02 Nov     , Todd Freeman wrote:
> So, tell me, what is the point of the network you are proposing ? How is
> it any better then the current commercial offerings ? What advantage
> does it provide ?

Are we talking about meshes or APs now?

> And why should a carrier give a shit if a block, or neighbourhood or
> single starbucks, wants faster internet, while the other people in the
> area do not ?

Nobody? Why should they? Why would this be needed in particular?

>  Who gives a shit if the carriers take care of themselves ?

What do you want to say?

>  most importantly, how do you plan to measure anything so that you can
> charge for it?

So measuring the traffic of a subscriber is hard?

> And how do you already know what the size limit of the networks is ?
>
> a few emails ago mesh was only useful for extending last mile, now it
> supposed to be infrastructure, you have to pick one, it can't be both.

The last mile *is* infrastructure. Also the size the last mile can be grows
when there is little traffic. no?

> So you think NAT is a great idea,

Yes, I do.

> and VPN hosters will just get infinite ipv4 to provide to the new customers
> of this network.

There should be IPv4 enough addresses for users who care to setup VPNs. That
is if we care to allocate some to them.

> and UPNP is flawless, never has any issues.

Nothing that cannot be fixed.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com