[OpenWireless Tech] openvpn bandwith throttling?

Sean Leonard meanderingcode at aetherislands.net
Sat Dec 1 13:54:13 PST 2012

I echo Andy regarding the potential for MTU to be the problem.

In the test results you shared, your last test states "with MTU 1400".  How
did you set the MTU?  In OpenVPN, there are a number of parameters that
effect packet size, both within OpenVPN itself and through reporting to
applications using the TCP stack to construct traffic that will flow
through the connection.

See the manual regarding:
mtu-disc
mtu-test
link-mtu
tun-mtu
mssfix
fragment

This may spin a bit off-topic for this list if we get deep into the
subject, though perhaps it is of interest...Either way, OpenVPN support
channels/communities will likely have a greater concentration of experts.

Cheers,
Sean