[OpenWireless Tech] Securing Open Wireless

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 12:12:34 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 21:03, Michael Blizek <
michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Basically there are some APs which do not let you into the internet in the
> "usual" plug-and-play way. Instead you have to open a browser and accept an
> agreement first. This is not both annoying and very messy. For example, you
> might just want to connect to your VPN. To do this you need to accept the
> agreement first. But your VPN client - if configurated correctly - will not
> allow you to connect to the page. If it does allow this or if you disable
> it,
> the AP operator might be able to do nasty things like cache poisoning.
>        -Michi

Ok, then let me rephrase and alter things slightly: While on normal WLANs
the AP owner has to put up such a page, on these WLANs there wouldn't be
such a page since it's provided as a part of the WLAN protocol. Then there
will be no mess with the VPN. Accepting the agreement is not done on a web
page over normal network traffic.