[OpenWireless Tech] Open source router firmware

Ron Sidell ron at snichols.com
Thu Aug 4 20:24:49 PDT 2011

I have just finished reading all of the archived email for this group,
and it seems that nobody has talked about the problems with trying to
provide a standard without the cooperation of the wireless router
vendors.  We would potentially need their cooperation to insure that
their routers had the "necessary" features for OpenWireless. However,
there is another way...

For those who have not heard, there is a free open source router
firmware project that supports hundreds (I think) of current and out of
production wireless routers.  The project is called dd-wrt, and the wiki
is at:http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page .  An informative
page listing the many capabilities of dd-wrt can be found at:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorials .

I suggest that we consider using dd-wrt, or something very much like it,
to help implement OpenWireless when it comes time to get into the
implementation phase of this project.  dd-wrt already has a feature that
allows a wireless router to simultaneously run bot a secured network
(wep, wpa, radius, etc) and an open network.  It really isn't very far
off from what folks have been contemplating here. And since its FOSS, we
could modify it to meet our needs, if necessary.

Just wondering what y'all think about this.
Cheers,
Ron

ps dd-wrt is slightly tricky to install, but not enough to eliminate it
from our consideration