[TA3M-SF] See you next Monday 6/20 at EFF HQ for TA3M

Shahid Buttar shahid at eff.org
Fri Jun 17 13:46:26 PDT 2016

We're looking forward to TA3M this month! Join us
<https://www.eff.org/event/techno-activism-third-mondays-sf-june-2016>
at EFF HQ this coming Monday, June 20, to learn about a novel campaign
promoting renewable energy within the technology sector.

From music and video to communications and mail, more and more of our
offline world is moving online. But as the internet continues to expand
by leaps and bounds, demand is rapidly increasing for at a key input:
electricity.

Given the rapid growth of the cloud, our use of the internet results in
an aggregate electricity demand that would rank in the top six if
compared alongside the world's largest countries, with double digit
growth expected well into the future.  Similarly, the rapid growth in
the number of devices and the increasing rates of consumption are
further adding to the sector's footprint on the earth's resources.

Gary Cook leads Greenpeace's global IT campaign, and will soon be
launching a new global campaign to challenge the major device
manufactures to build and design their products in a way that is good
for the planet's bottom line as well as their own. He'll join us on
Monday to share the current state of the sector's environmental
leadership, Greenpeace's Click Clean campaign
<http://www.clickclean.org>, and discuss how we can all play a role in
pushing IT leaders to become stronger champions in protecting the planet.