[TA3M-SF] Invitation to test OnlineCensorship.org at EFF on July 15

Danny O'Brien danny at eff.org
Tue Jun 30 15:12:35 PDT 2015

Dear TA3Mers,

EFF and Visualizing Impact are preparing to launch OnlineCensorship.org, a
website that crowdsources user-generated reports of censorship by
privately-owned online platforms.

We'd like to invite you to help us test the site before we launch and give
us feedback on how it's working. We're keen to make sure it's
user-friendly and provides the kind of data we need to be effective in
achieving these goals.

We will be conducting user testing sessions in several locations around
the world, including San Francisco, Beirut, Toronto, and Hong Kong. The
session will last roughly two hours and will be held on Wednesday, July 15
from 5:30pm-7:30pm at EFF (815 Eddy Street). We’ll start with a brief
overview of the project and its goals before giving you time to test out
the survey function. Then, we’ll discuss in a focus group your thoughts on
the site functionality as well as your thoughts about the site more
generally as potential users.

The success of this project will depend on the quality of its users’
contributions, and having input from the broader community at this stage
will be incredibly helpful. We'd love to hear your feedback!

If you plan on attending, please RSVP off list by Thursday, July 9 to kim at eff.org.

========

Here's a little more information about the project:

What is the issue?

Social media platforms have become our “public sphere,” but are privately
owned. Companies like Google and Twitter promote their platforms as havens
for free expression, but nevertheless act as censors, without
transparency.

Why does this matter?

Social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook are host to millions,
even billions, of users around the world. As these spaces increasingly
become our online “commons," it is imperative that they be transparent
about what they censor, and why.

What are we trying to do?

OnlineCensorship.org seeks to promote transparency, educate Internet users
about censorship on social platforms, and empower users to push back
against this censorship.