[Sovereign Keys] NameCoin

Левашев Иван octagram at bluebottle.com
Wed Jan 11 11:09:04 PST 2012

> The main advantages of the SK approach are:
>
>  - no exposure to attacks by botnets that have more CPU than the
> legitimate
>    users of the system
Since the introduction of merged mining this is not a big issue.
Major BTC mining pools have enabled merged mining at the moment. This
makes NMC strong enough against freeze attacks.

A project like SK can't live purely in a blockchain. As I've said,
trusted timeline servers are still required to check usual TLD: whois
and dns.

> Although timeline servers aren't much of a security
> risk in the SK design, they /are/ an availability bottleneck.  If
> someone
> could succeed in compromising all of them or DOSing most of them
> for an
> extended period, that would be pretty bad for SK clients.

Timeline servers cross-sign the certificates and these signatures go
to NMC blockchain which is  highly available. Something like this.

I agree that standalone design makes sence, but redundancy will help
a lot. Well, maybe let it be optional?

--
If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom