[Sovereign Keys] NameCoin

Левашев Иван octagram at bluebottle.com
Wed Dec 28 18:03:28 PST 2011

Hello!

There is a project having something in common with Sovereign Keys.

NameCoin is a distributed DNS or, more generally it's a
cryptocurrency with a built-in JSON storage. For instance, it can be
used to store GPG keys as well. It took me 3 month to mine 1 NMC on
CPU, and I can buy ~5 entries now. Pretty affordable, I think. Of
course, NMC can be bought, the price is low. Entries expire but
renewal is free.

All the history of operations is available on every node. However,
merkle trees make it possible to omit detailed information in a
particular NameCoin implementation.

NameCoin has a built-in SSL verification method: issue self-signed
certificate and store hash in the NameCoin blockchain. However,
browsers and other software are not modified to operate this way.

I think NameCoin might be useful for Sovereign Keys as well. NameCoin
is also an append-only database and there are lots of nodes around
already. Timeline servers are still needed to ensure evidence of
control in the DNS.

If there will ever be a browser supporting this feature, I'd like it
to support .bit native SSL verification method as well. .bit domain
owners are going to have first-class service. Conventional TLD owners
ought to rely on trusted 3rd party servers to verify evidence of
control.

P. S. Please mirror this mailing list in GMANE. It is inconvenient to
read from mail or web. NNTP is better. Even with regards to web,
GMANE interface is superior.

--
If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom