[RightToMod-2021] DRM and copyright response

josh nichols jnicholsri at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:46:42 PST 2020

*1. The product you (or someone else) wanted to modify, repair, or
diagnose, including brand and model name/number if available.*

*LG Stylo 4 (LMQ710MS)*

*2. What you wanted to do and why.*

*Unlock the bootloader to gain root access for developement of third party
FOSS *

*3. How a TPM interfered with your project, including a description of the
TPM.*

   - *What did the TPM restrict access to?*
   - *What did the TPM block you from doing? How?*
   - *If you know, what would be required to get around the TPM? Is there
   another way you could accomplish your goal without doing this?*

*WIth a locked encrypted bootloader, gaining root access is impossible as
is access (full read, write, execution priveledge) to the devices' "/"
(root) file system, making developement difficult to say the least. It does
not allow for any type of ingenuity or creativety since you must follow an
existing api. There is no way around a locked encrypted bootloader save
perhaps bruteforcing and a lifetime (or 3) of waiting. In addition to
restricting creativety a locked bootloader allows OEM's, manufacturers and
vendors to load any partner software they want without regard to the
software's content thereby potentially jeopordizing a device owner's
privacy and safety. It allows them to promote device security through
obscurity which has been shown time and time again to be a poor choice (ZTE
wasnt even sending security patches out to devices. Just a file that
modified the security update's date). *
*There is no valid (legal) reason to prevent someone from unlocking a
bootloader on a device they own outright).*

4. *xda-developers.com <http://xda-developers.com> would have all the
information you could ever need*.

*5. Whether we may identify you in our public comments, and your name and
town of residence if so. We will treat all submissions as anonymous unless
you expressly give us this permission to identify you*

*You may but please dont post my email address, phone or full address.*

-Joshua Nichols,
Pawtucket, RI