[PrivacyBadger] Using the behaviour engine for other purposes

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Fri Mar 9 07:03:33 PST 2018

Hi all!

Many thanks for the Privacy Badger, it alone makes my EFF membership well
worth, and I hope to increase my donation in near future. I would like to
share an idea:

Would it be possible to refactor the code so that the engine checking
whether you are tracked can be reused in completely different contexts?

I have a couple of use cases for it: I'd like to run it on a forward proxy
at home. We have simply too many devices in the house, and to install the
browser extension on all is too much work. And who knows what other apps
than the browsers are doing...? So, I figured, I'd rather set it on a Squid
proxy and let that block the trackers...

My second use case is to use it an a Web crawler. I'm in Norway, and the
public sector is being automated and streamlined. I strongly support this
effort, but sometimes they mess things up. For example, they make heavy use
of Google Analytics, which I think is a bad idea in itself, but it gets
worse when they also mess up the settings and enable the DoubleClick
cookies, which is a blatant violation of the law. I have used Privacy
Badger to alert me to this fact and send complaints, and the response has
been OK: "Thank you for the notification, we are truly sorry, and have
disabled the cookie promptly", but this is apparently *really* hard,
because every agency seems to get it wrong every now and then... :-/
So, if citizen vigilance is required, I should at least automate it. It is
straightforward to hack a crawler that monitors these sites, but it would
be nice to re-use the code that Privacy Badger has to determine the
likelyhood of trackers.

Cheers,

Kjetil