[PrivacyBadger] New subscriber questions

Dave Warren dw at thedave.ca
Tue Jan 23 10:42:39 PST 2018

Also remember, the password is not only still stored insecurely, but it
can also be retrieved (unless the list operator has taken special steps
to eliminate this).
On the flip side, as long as you use a unique password (which you don't
even need to record, since you can retrieve/reset it), the only harm is
that someone might adjust your mailing list settings -- And if this
happens, mailman will tell you about it. This isn't ideal, it's not a
big enough real-world problem that anyone has bothered to solve it with
a drop-in replacement.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 08:26, R. Jason Cronk via PrivacyBadger wrote:> I'm not responding in any official capacity for the list, but just a
> point of historical awareness. Most list-serves are using rather
> antiquated technology set up 20 year ago before security (and privacy)
> were as big a concern. Rather than transfer to new, more secure,
> technology, these lists persist. My recommendation, as it would be
> even if the password was not stored in plain-text, is to use a
> password that you don't use anywhere else.>
> You can change your password by going to "unsubscribe or edit options"
> on this page https://lists.eff.org/mailman/listinfo/privacybadger>
> You'll find an option to change your password on that page.
>
> Jason
> .*.*.*.*.............................................................-
>> R. Jason Cronk                  | Juris Doctor
>
> Privacy and Trust Consultant    | IAPP Fellow of Information Privacy
>> *Enterprivacy Consulting Group[1]*   | CIPT, CIPM, CIPP/US, PbD
> Ambassador
>> Check out our concise, intelligible, accessible, plain language GDPR
> privacy notice generator[2].

Links:

  1. http://www.enterprivacy.com
  2. https://enterprivacy.com/gdpr-privacy-notice-policy-template/